The Rural Sociology Group of Wageningen University – known and renowned for its comparative approaches, empirically grounded theory development, and scientific, policy and practical relevance of its research output – will celebrate its 75th Anniversary on the 13th of May 2022.
The event entitled “Rural Sociology: past, present and future” will reflect upon the past and present of rural sociology and discuss future challenges around three thematic clusters: 1) agriculture; 2) food; and 3) place.
“Rural Sociology: past, present and future” will take place in a lively, interactive setting with debates, workshops, and presentations. Therefore, the event will not be organized in the form of parallel sessions with paper presentations as still common to most conferences, but in challenging and creative settings that invites active engagement and exchange.
- Opening of the event by the Rector Magnificus of Wageningen University;
- Inaugural conference lecture;
- The Rural Talk Show: interactive discussion about rural sociology around three sets of questions: 1) societal commitment and critical distance in agri-food and rural studies, 2) the relations and tensions between critical analysis and developing alternatives, and 3) the making of the future: regulation and self-regulation, uniformity and pluriformity;
- Workshops related to agriculture, food and place;
- Keynote Lecture;
- Back to the Future: interactive discussion on Rural Sociology’s research agendas.
Regular updates will be published here!
“Rural Sociology: Past, Present and Future” will be held at the Akoesticum, Nieuwe Kazernelaan 2D42, 6711 JC Ede, the Netherlands.