The Marie Curie Initial Training Network PUREFOOD project team will host a winter school and forum in Barcelona from 12-22 November 2012. The forum will be a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary event, with the joint participation of the PUREFOOD research fellows and supervisory team, a diverse group of external Ph.D. students, and respected local and international scholars and practitioners. The forum will create an atmosphere of debate, exchange, and collaboration. The academic program will feature three distinct learning modes – expert-led discussions, peer-led paper review, and thematically integrated site visits – and will include modules oriented to some of the most prominent themes in agri-food system scholarship today.
Key themes are:
- Food security, rights and sovereignty;
- Social imperatives, ethics and justice;
- Food and alterity;
- Food policy and governance;
- State, market and society;
Speakers at the Winter school are:
- Dr. Patricia Allen, Director of the Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, University of California, Santa Cruz, United States
- Dr. Jesús Contreras Hernández, Professor of Social Anthropology, Director of the Food and Foodways Observatory, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
- Dr. Mike Goodman, Senior Lecturer, Department of Geography, King’s College London, United Kingdom
- Dr. James Kirwan, Reader in Food Studies and Society, Countryside and Community Research Institute, University of Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
- Dr. F. Xavier Medina, Director, Department Food Systems, Culture & Society at Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Academic Director at Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
For more information about the Winter School click on Beyond Divides – Program and Application Form. If you want to participate, please complete the application form and send it to Jessica Spayde (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 3 October 2012.